To all Retailers of Ruger firearms:
Please be advised that Ruger has issued a recall for all Mark IV firearms manufactured prior to June 1, 2017. This includes all models of the Mark IV and 22/45, including the Mark IV Target, Hunter, and Competition models, as well as the 22/45, 22/45 Lite,
and 22/45 Tactical models. These models bear serial numbers beginning with "401" (2017 models) or "WBR" (2016 models).
We recently discovered that the recalled models have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time.
In the interest of safety, please inform your customers that we strongly recommend that Mark IV owners do not use their pistols until their pistol has been retrofitted.
While we sincerely regret the need to issue this recall, our motto is, and has been for many years, "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens." We are firmly committed to safety and sincerely hope that we can count on your support to assist us in retrieving and retrofitting all potentially affected pistols.
We have identified the source of the problem and have determined the appropriate retrofit. We are in the process of producing replacement parts and expect to begin retrofitting pistols within the next few weeks. Please note that there will be a short delay as we build an inventory of parts. We will send you a shipping label and boxes (if needed), once we are ready to retrofit the Mark IV pistols in your inventory. To ensure a steady flow and quick turnaround, we will be contacting retailers on a first
come, first-served basis.
What we are asking from you:
- If you have any Mark IV™ or 22/4fM pistols in your inventory, please go to our web portal at Ruger.com/MarkIVRecall and select the "Retailer" option.
- You will be asked to enter the serial numbers of all Mark IV and 22/45 pistols in your inventory, as well as your contact information (including FFL Number). We will then make arrangements to have the pistols shipped back to us at no expense to you as soon as parts are ready to retrofit your pistols.
- We will retrofit the pistols and do our best to return them to you within one week of receiving them from you.
- In the coming weeks, we will be contacting you regarding the disposition of any
Mark IV and 22/45 pistols that you purchased, but have not registered for the recall. If you have sold any Mark IV or 22/45 pistols, please review your records to locate any customer contact information you may have. For your convenience, you will be able to enter that information into our web portal at Ruger.com/MarkIVRecall when you enter your "in inventory" serial numbers or at a later time, or provide it to us when we contact you.
- Please post the attached Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice in your store and inform customers about the recall. Please also encourage them to utilize the web portal to sign up for the recall.
For full details, see the attached Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice, or visit the Mark IV recall website at Ruger.com/MarkIVRecall
Again, we sincerely regret the need for this recall, but hope that you will work with Ruger for the benefit of our shared customers.
Very truly yours,
Ruger President & CEO